You are having a problem starting your car; it is slow cranking, or when you turn the key to start it the lights dim, or you hear absolutely nothing or you hear a clicking.
These things can indicate either a starter or battery problem. However, these symptoms can also indicate other problems.
If you are unsure which it is, you can bring your vehicle to an Auburn BMW Repair shop that can help you by testing your battery and starter.
Signs Your Battery Is Getting Weak
Your battery can become weak over time. Here are a few signs that your battery is becoming weak;
- Your car cranks slower
- You hear clicking when you turn your key or press the start button
- The car started yesterday but won’t start or was extremely slow starting the next day
- Battery terminals are corroded
- The battery case looks bloated
- Your battery is older than 3 years old
If you notice any of those problems, a BMW Repair Rocklin shop can help you.
How To Maintain Your Battery?
There are some things you can do to help maintain your battery and keep it working well.
- Check the battery post/connections for corrosion and clean it off. Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with a cup of warm water, stir it up. Pour the mixture over the terminals and use a wire brush to remove the corrosion.
- Make sure the connections are tight.
- Check the fluid inside the battery if your battery has lids to do that.
- Visually inspect the outside for leaks which can cause corrosion, bulging of the battery, or other signs that your battery does not look right.
Signs Your Starter Is Going Bad
As with other parts on your vehicle over time your starter will wear out; what are the signs that your start is going bad?
- When you start your car, you hear any of the following sounds; buzzing, whirring, grinding, or clicking
- Your lights dim when you start your car
If You Think Your Starter Is Going Bad, Here Are Some Things You Can Do
If you are having trouble starting your car and think it may be your starter;
- Make sure all the connections are tight; that includes bolts that mount it.
- Make sure the wires are not frayed or showing through the coating.
Understanding The Ignition System Of Your Vehicle
There are several parts to your ignition system;
- The battery provides electrical power to the other components
- The electrical current is sent through the alternator
- The starter when the key is turned brings the electrical current from the battery through the alternator to start the vehicle.
Getting Help For Your Starter Or Battery
If you have been experiencing issues when starting your car and are unsure of what it is or how to fix it; bring your vehicle into BMW Repair and we will test the battery and starter for you.